A one year, senior level, highly academic program that allows students to explore
the education field while gaining high school and college credits. Students accepted into the program must be in good academic standing with an excellent attendance record. New Visions Education program provides an opportunity for students to obtain skill and understanding through participation in several rotations in various classrooms.
The program provides students the opportunity to learn education terminology, technology, structure, mandates,
and services. Students will participate in rotations in a variety of educational settings which including, elementary, middle, and high school, as well as specialty areas such as special education, music, art, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech, counseling and administration.
Students will learn the roles and expectations of an educational professional in New
York State. They will participate in various teacher training such as Dignity for All Students (DASA), classroom management techniques, cooperative learning strategies, and First Aid Training. Students will also be able to develop into informed citizens through course work in Economics and Participation in Government.
Things You Get To Do
- College Visits and Field Trips.
- Career Exploration.
- Shadowing experiences.
- Participate in Teacher training seminars.
- Technology in Education Platforms.
Where It Can Lead
- Preschool Educator
- Elementary Educator
- Middle School Educator
- Secondary Educator - Content Specific
- Special Education Teacher
- Speech Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- School Counselor
- Social Worker
- School Administrator
What You Can Earn
- CPR/AED Certification
- First Aid Certification
- Dignity for All Students (DASA)
- Mandated Reporter Certification
Go To College With Credits
- College Credit through JCC - English 15101/1530; Foundations in Education.
- Articulations agreements between JCC and St. Bonaventure University.
Where It's Held
Skills Learned in Class
- Demonstrated high motivation by writing an essay describing their goals and attributes.
- Recommendations from a school counselor, an administrator and two academic teachers.
- Successfully completed the interview process.
- A grade point average of 85% or higher.
- Excellent attendance records of 90% or better (reviewed on an individual basis).
Apply For Admission
- Students can opens in a new windowApply for Admission online.